Reviews

Common Ways That Fires Can Start

Fires can start in a number of ways. Kids are naturally curious and want to touch, handle, and explore everything around them. Children have a fascination with fire and, when they aren’t taught how to handle it safely, they can ignite a house in minutes. That’s why it’s important to keep matches out of children’s reach and to always extinguish candles when leaving a room. Often, children don’t start fires on purpose, but they can ignite fires when adults are careless.

Overuse or misuse of appliances and heating systems are common causes of fires in homes. Even faulty appliances can ignite household items. The fires that result from these causes are often preventable and can cost thousands in damage. The most common cause of fire in homes is cooking. In fact, 44 percent of all house fires start in the kitchen. Hot pans and stoves can easily catch fire and spread throughout the home.

Image credit

Faulty wiring can also contribute to house fires. If you’re unsure of your wiring, look for warning signs, such as lights dimming when you use another appliance, a blown fuse, or loose connections. Smoking materials can also spark a fire if they aren’t properly disposed of. Though the number of smoking materials fires has decreased over the years, they remain one of the most common causes of commercial fires. When you need a Fire Risk Assessment Bristol, contact keloscape.co.uk/areas-we-cover/fire-safety-consultancy-bristol

Open flames and candles can cause house fires. Make sure to keep all electrical appliances away from flammable objects. Even smoking cigarettes can ignite bed sheets. Candles can be especially hazardous in the bedroom, and smoldering ashtrays can quickly start a fire.

One of the leading causes of house fires is cooking. Cooking oil can ignite unattended. Grease and oil are highly flammable when heated, reaching temperatures of up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit. Consequently, they are difficult to put out once they have started.

Image credit

Electrical failure is another common cause of fires in homes. Fires can start when electrical devices are overloaded, or if the wiring is faulty. Always unplug appliances when not in use. Never use too many plugs in the same room, and keep candles in sturdy holders and out of children’s reach. And be sure to have the chimney cleaned once a year. A well-maintained chimney prevents fire from spreading to other areas of the house.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.